Trying to interpret someones body language is definitely a science that many of us try to gain insight on at some point in our lives. Whether it’s in a business or personal setting, paying close attention to the things “unsaid” can help you navigate your way to understanding how you’re coming off to someone.
Below are our top picks for body language signals that everyone should know:
- Stroking the chin or beard – Indicator of someone who may be deep in thought or contemplation.
- Lack of Eye Contact or Lowered head – This can be a sign of intimidation or shyness. When someone speaks to you while looking down at the ground it can mean that they’re not so confident in what they’re saying, or that you simply make them nervous.
- Ear pulling – This is often a sign of indecision or contemplation.
- Resting hand on cheek – This usually indicates that the person is considering something – or deeply concentrating on something.
- Arms crossed in front of the chest – This is an indicator that one is being defensive or disagrees with your opinions and actions.
- Nail biting – This usually demonstrates feelings of nervousness, a lack of patience, or anxiety.
- Finger tapping or drumming – Finger tapping usually demonstrates impatience and sometimes nervousness.
- Head nodding – People usually nod their head as a sign of agreement or understanding.
- Placing finger tips together – This is also known as “steepling”, and usually demonstrates contemplation, but is also used to demonstrate authority.
That’s right folks, you can actually know what someone is thinking without them saying a word. Just for kicks, try to take note of your body language the next time your in a meeting or on a date, what signals do you give off?